The assignment will provide research support to ADB's ongoing work on digital platforms for education in the context of growing use of online teaching and learning. There are many sources of impetus to the growing use of digital platforms - first, the spread of disruptive technologies associated with the fourth industrial revolution (4IR) is requiring greater attention to digital skills and capabilities; second, there has been a significant uptick of EdTech in education in recent years with the deployment of new advanced technologies in education and training and third, COVID-19 has accelerated the trend towards digital transformation in all sectors, including education.
The assignment will explore the implications of the rapid growth of digitalization in education, particularly in the context of developing countries and contribute to a research paper on the rise of education platforms in education.
The Assignment Includes the Following:
- Research and analysis on the role and performance of digital platforms to accelerate digital teaching and learning and the role of public and private providers.
- Secondary data collection on the emergence of digital platforms to provide education and training in select ADB developing member countries, across K-12, TVET and higher education.
- Small scale primary data collection on the deployment of digital platforms for education in the aftermath of COVID-19 in select developing countries and review of their role.
- Support the review of online tools for education such as online examinations, online assessments and personalize learning and their potential for widespread deployment in developing countries, and Data collection and analysis of different resources for digital skills, help standardize the definition of foundational, intermediate and advanced digital skills that are critical for the 4IR.
- Data collection of EdTech readiness data in identified countries across 5 pillars of the EdTech Ecosystem (Infrastructure, Government, School/Teachers, Parent/Student, Providers), help support to standardize the EdTech Maturity Index that can be used to assess and measure progress and development stages of countries in adopting and integrating digital technologies in teaching and learning.
- A research report outlining - (a) trends in the rise of digital platforms in education in developing Asia; (b) capacities required to effectively make the transition to digital offerings in education and training; and (c) implications for policy and action in expanding digital capabilities in education and training.
- A seminar presentation with PPT based on the above.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s or PhD program in social sciences, engineering or development economics.
- The candidate should demonstrate evidence of having participated in research projects and have research assistance experience.
- The candidate should be familiar with development issues in the Asia and Pacific region.
- The candidate should have knowledge of research tools and techniques and be able to undertake the tasks independently. Online data mining capacity will be an added advantage.
- Job type:Internships
- Closing Date:7th Oct 2020, 6:00 pm