Development is strengthened through knowledge, and data amplifies the power of development assistance as the building block of knowledge. Data-driven analytics and evidence-based decision making will help pave the way for strategic dialogue, better policy formulation and informed project identification and preparation that will lead to impactful and sustainable development. Under Strategy 2030, ADB is set to strengthen its role as a knowledge solutions partner and will bring more value to its developing member countries (DMCs) by combining finance with knowledge. A platform that provides DMCs and staff access to key urban data and indicators will build the knowledge base for urban operations and catalyze innovation. Operationalizing knowledge is the key to innovation and a conduit to create partnerships for twinning, peer-to-peer learning, and effective donor coordination.
The intern will conduct research on datasets and indicators relevant to urban development and utilities service delivery (e.g. urban population, water supply coverage and continuity, water quality, NRW, sewage and sanitation, air quality, housing, land value, vehicle ownership, public transport ridership, etc.), identify various databases, and assess their availability (e.g. licensing and source). Existing data gaps will be assessed based on the CWUW database template and recommendations provided for bridging the gaps. The intern will research and compile the key urban indicators for Armenia, Georgia, Pakistan, and Uzbekistan, and explore non-traditional data sources like IOT that are applicable to CWUW urban operations. The intern will also provide input to the design and development of the database as needed.
What You Will Do
- Complete the list of key urban indicators for Armenia, Georgia, Pakistan, and Uzbekistan.
- Develop data gathering strategies.
- Provide assessment of the potential of utilizing big data applicable to ADB's urban operations.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in Urban Planning, Economic or Human Geography, Transport Planning, Economics, Statistics, Data Science, or related field.
- Experienced with data analytics, data sourcing in the urban sector, database structure and data visualization.
- Proficient in Excel, Stata, R, Python, SQL, GIS and MS Access, with some knowledge of cloud computing.
- Job type:Internships
Data Science and Analytics, Economics, Statistics
- Closing Date:8th Feb 2020, 6:00 pm